Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Journal Entry 14 April 2009 : Want Something? Build Relationships


Scripture:


Neh 2:4-5
The king said to me, "What is it you want?"
Then I prayed to the God of heaven, 5 and I answered the king, "If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my fathers are buried so that I can rebuild it."


Observation:
Nehemiah was a cupbearer and the King could have ignored Nehemiah's "emotional state" yet, the King didn't, the King had concern for him. Probably Nehemiah did build this fantastically trusted relationship with the king, since Nehemiah did perform tasting of all the food/drink before the King.
In that short moment, Nehemiah "prayed".. what was his prayer? we don't know, but I am sure he didn't burst forth in tongues.


It sure teaches us that in every situation that is a reason and a need for prayer.
A prayer he believes that the King will be moved to honour, shows the trust of the King in Nehemiah (probably due to relationship built over the years), in actual fact later... the King provided for the building of the walls.

And it sure shows how much confidence Nehemiah has in God to use him to build the walls! A Cupbearer building walls??!?! Indeed the faith of Nehemiah.

Application:

We're all asking God for one thing or another, have we prepared in our hearts what we should ask for. Are my motives in check before I ask? Have I built that trust and close relationship with God so that I know for "whatever I ask in His name He will grant it" ?

Asking and knowing what you receive is always based on relationship, between anyone, God, myself, and to others.

Response:
Lord help me build my relationships with those around me, so that I know what to ask of You for them.

No comments: